Who are the judges?*
- 1976-98 : Professor at the ‟Université de Louvain la Neuve‟
- 1998-2012: Judge and subsequently Vice-Chairperson of the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg
- 2012-2016 : Member of the UN Human Rights Advisory Panel in Kosovo
- 2013-2018: Member of the Scientific Committee at the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights
- 2016-2017: Chairwoman of the “Monsanto tribunal »
- 1976-1998: Professor and founding director of the Centre for Human Rights at the University of Pretoria
- 1999-2004: Judge at the Transvaal Branch of the High Court of South Africa
- 2004-2016: Judge of the Constitutional Court of South Africa
- Currently, Vice-President of International Advocacy and Litigation at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center since 2012.
- 2012-2014: Political Affairs Officer at the UN Department of Political Affairs
- 2006-2012: Legal officer at the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.
- Currently, Vice-President of the Administrative Court of the Council of Europe
- 1965: Doctorate at the Graduate Institute of International Studies in Geneva
- 2011: Conferred the title of doctor honoris causa by The University of Zurich
- 1974-1980: Professor at the Faculty of Law of the University of Geneva
- 1990-2006: Member of the European Commission for Democracy through Law (Venice Commission) 1990-2006
- 2007-2011: Judge at the European Court of Human Rights (Strasbourg)
- Currently, Associate Professor at the Faculty of Law and Institute of Political Sciences at the University of Strasbourg
- 2008-2019: Judge at the European Court of Human Rights
- 2006-2008: Member of the Venice Commission For Democracy through Law
- Lectured earlier human rights, EU law and public international law at the Albanian School of Magistrates and the Faculty of Law of Tirana University (Albania)
- International Human Rights Law Specialist handling cases of international mediation and international treaty procedures
- 1978-1988 Head of Special Procedures, involving investigative missions in several countries
- 1978-1991 and 1993-1994: Secretary to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights
- 2004-2006: Chief of the Human Rights Office of the UN Assistance Mission to Iraq
- 2000-2002: Director of the Australian Human Rights Centre at the University of New South Wales, currently a Director of its Diplomacy Training Programme
As per Article 7 of the Rules of Procedure, the court designates 4 registrars for the registry
Professor of International Human Rights Law (since 2019)
2019–present: Director of the Programme for Studies on Human Rights in Context
2015–present: Guest Professor at the University of Geneva
2012–present: Guest Professor at the University of Pretoria
2017-2018: LL.M in International and European Law, Ugent
2018: Registered at the Ghent Bar
2018 to date: Lawyer at Van Steenbrugge Advocaten, Ghent
PhD Researcher at KULeuven, Faculty of Law.
- 2015-2016 LLM in international human rights law, AU Washington College of Law.
- 2016-2018: senior consultant at Syrian Justice and Accountability Center.
- Since 2018: coach for the Inter-American Human Rights Moot Court Competition.
Senior Lawyer at Van Steenbrugge Advocaten, Ghent
- 2014-2015 LL.M in International Criminal Law and Human Rights, New York University
- Since 2015: Registered at the Brussels/Ghent Bar
- Since 2016: Admitted to the New York Bar